Sunday, April 16, 2006

Pity Party

Being single can be really good sometimes and it can really suck sometimes.

I was just reminded of one of the things I hate the most about being single: there is generally no one waiting for you at the airport when you arrive home from a trip. There have been a few times in my life when someone has been there, someone who has truly missed me while I was away and would never dream of waiting a moment longer to see me. On those occasions that person usually came up to me and gave me a huge hug and a kiss and took my bags for me and drove me home.

I lied, that hasn't only happened a few times. That is also what happens every time I fly into California- and sometimes there is even a lita (grandma) and a puppy there to greet me too, and if im really lucky there's a little man (my brother). But almost without fail my mom is there with a big smile, a hug, a kiss, a new hair cut and eventually a comment about my unwaxed eyebrows. (Remind me to be more apprecative of this on my next return to the golden state)

Today, instead of all this loveliness, I flew into Boston and was confronted with the realization that once again I forgot to ask a friend to come pick me up, my clothes are not warm enough, my bag is too heavy, my cell phone is completely dead, and I have run out of tissue to blow my damn sick ass nose with!

Thank god my work is right off the blue line (airport line) and I can access it on the weekend. So here I am, updating my blog in the hopes that claudia will call and come rescue me. If not I have a bag full of warm clothes to change into and a desk that I can burden with some of my heavier articles. Thus solving most of my problems- warmth and a lighter bag; the bacterial cold and lack of hugs, kisses and a ride home are going to take longer to solve...

by the way- Spain was great, more on that later.

5 comments:

Carolina said...

:(

Are all moms that way? or is just that some daughters arent that way...?

D.B. Echo said...

Welcome back! I generally pay someone to be waiting for me. With a van.

Oh my god. Did you fly into LOGAN? The only time I was there was in February 2002, and it was a half-reconstructed post-9/11 disaster at the time. I hope they've sorted things out by now.

OasisDwlr said...

I'm glad to hear that you made it home. Lei and I were pretty tired when we arrived, and I am still trying to recover from my jet lag. I hope you are feeling better--I still have a cough! Linds

melanerd said...

My mom and I are very similar. So when we are apart we have a great relationship- we talk everyday about lots of stuff. And when I first get home we are both so happy to be together. But after about a week we start seeing the parts of ourselves that we don't like reflected back at us and things get ugly....

Claire said...

Ok, Mel, it's been long enough. It's time for a Spain blog. I need more Mel in my life!