My friend Claire answered a survey on her blog and then "tagged" me to answer it too. I like surveys and I like goofing off....thus, here we go.
What were you doing 10 years ago?
Hmmm... let's see. Ten years ago I was 13, it was second trimester (yup, had trimesters in Jr. high) of eighth grade. I was in the process of growing 7 inches and gaining 20 pounds (that's a little less than 3 lbs per inch...so consequently I was extremely skinny and due to my long limbs I resembled a spider). I was trying to figure out how to tell my mother that I had gotten my period a year earlier and hadn't gotten it since. I didn't tell her when I first got my period because she had told everyone about my first boyfriend and they all embarrassed me, I could only imagine what was going to happen when I told her I was menstruating. I was also growing out my hair, I had cut it into a pixie cut- ala Julia Roberts in "Hook", and it was not a pretty process. The original hair cut had prompted the nickname "Tink", which I liked, but somehow by this point it had morphed into "Captain Winkey" and some people just outright called me Richard. It was bad at the time, but super funny now... maybe I'll find a picture and scan it to put it up here.
What were you doing 1 year ago?
Living on the third floor of a charter high school in Boston, five doors down from my cheating girlfriend. Life was so hectic, I hardly slept and was constantly running around, forgetting to eat, and I cried 15-20 lbs of college and some high school weight away. When was that huge Noreaster? It was either this week or last week last year, and we had the whole week off, but somehow that still didn't help me to catch-up or stabilize. You wanna know the craziest thing of all? I miss it sooooo much!
Five snacks I enjoy:
1. Pork rinds with lime and salt (It's a Mexican thing, I don't expect you to understand)
2. Lemon-Lime Lucas- It is essentially lemon-lime flavored salt "candy". I used to get it from the ice cream man daily. My nose would sweat from all the sodium. My mom made me stop because she feared for my kidneys and would tell me horror stories about living on dialysis. I still have cravings for it. (another Mexican thing, again, don't expect you to understand).
3. "Crack". Last year a teacher at MATCH made "crack" for the tutors. It was some sort of chexmix with sugar...ugh, I can't explain it, but it was heavenly!
4. Salted Almonds- a must for any poor person- so much healthy goodness in each nut (I know the salted part is unhealthy- leave me alone mom!)
5. Anything that combines chocolate, peanut butter and salt- like peanut butter filled, chocolate covered pretzels. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but that is my soft-spot.
Five songs to which I know all the lyrics
Back in 2001 I was thinking of transferring and my uncle was pressuring me to apply to Harvard. One day at dinner I was complaining to my friends that it would just be a waste of money because all Harvard students had at least one thing that they were exceptional at, and I was mediocre at best at everything I did. Claire responded by telling me that she had never met someone who knew soooo many song lyrics and that I should tell Harvard that.
Here are the top five:
1. Almost every Jackson Browne song. Favorites: These Days, The Pretender and For a Dancer (which will play at my mother's funeral per her request)
2. I Like Big Butts- Sir Mix A Lot. I have a great "music video" of this, if you haven't seen it, ask next time you see me ;).
3. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun- Cyndi Lauper. I went as Cyndi for Halloween last year, I will upload that pic when I get a chance.
4. Dreams- Cranberries (I know all the words to a lot of their songs- gotta love Dolores!)
5. Only the Good Die Young- Billy Joel. This is my theme song- just ask Neda, she'll tell you.
...this is ridiculous, I know all the words to at least 30 songs, probably a lot more, I like lyrics, I like to know all the lyrics to the songs I like. Other songs that came to mind during this: Since U Been Gone, Kelly Clarkson (since they always play it at the lesbo clubs); Somebody Told Me, The Killers; Humps, Black Eyed Peas; Piano Man (and many others), Billy Joel; Tiny Dancer (thank you Almost Famous), Elton John, Space Oddity, David Bowie....tons of cat Stevens, the go-gos, ugh....to many songs!
Five things I would do if I were a millionaire
1. Start a Trust Fund to be used for improving Urban education
2. Pay off my student loans so I can do the work I want without having to worry about salary!
3. Tell Shabori to work her butt off in high school and then apply to and attend any college she wants, on my bill.
4. Buy a modest but cute apartment, decorate it, paint it, and buy a puppy to live with me in it.
5. (Warning this is really crunchy) Work on buying more organic and toxin free products.
Five bad habits
1. Wasting work time on personal business
2. Falling for women who are emotionally unavailable
3. Talking too loudly (I get easily excited)
4. Forgetting to e-mail people back for extended periods of time
5. Loosing things- keys, cell phones, scarves, gloves, etc etc
Five things I like doing
1. Listening to music- my little man recently got me an ipod, thanks scott!
2. Reading, not having a book that I am really into affects my mood badly.
3. Watching movies and TV, now that I have free time and netflix this is all I ever really do
4. Playing team sports- softball, dodgeball, and football are my favorites
5. Cuddling, but the cuddler has to also be the cuddling sort or it doesn't have the same affect!
....hmmmm, that felt a little like an online dating question.
Five things I would never wear, buy or get new again
I don't like this question. Never is too strong of a word... I am a pretty random person, there's not much I can't see myself not getting- a gun? but I never bought one in the first place. A tube-top?- but I can't be sure of that. A crimper? but I like 80's nights. Therefore, I reject the question!
Five favorite toys
1. My ipod shuffle
2. My Darth Vader with Anakin inside
3. My video camera- even though its not actually mine and people get embarrassed when I use it.
4. My skis- even though I don't have enough moola to use them often.
5. I wish I had a sex toy to put on here- but alas! My box of pictures and mementos
Now I'm supposed to pass it on and tag five more people. My picks are D.B. Echo, since he has a blog, Linds, Lei, Pia, and Bekka.