Friday, October 07, 2005

Queereoke

Last night after football practice I went out with my team to a bar where "Queereoke" was being held. Yes, it was as much fun as it sounds! We all decided (it wasn't the whole team- I think there were like 6 of us) to sing a song together, and I foolishly mentioned that I thought "Sweet Caroline" would make a good kareoke song. Just in case you were wondering- "Sweet Caroline" is NOT a good kareoke song, the chorus is too high and the song is too slow. But we had fun and that's what counts.

A little later when the bar had gotten more full, the "DJ" decided to sing "Piano Man" by Billy Joel. He was massacring the words and I was singing along and complaining. Linda told me that I should go up and join in, but I just shook off her suggestion. Then he said it, "Anyone who wants to come up and take over for me is welcome." So, with a couple beers in me, I shakily got up and took the stage. The song was only a fourth of the way through so I had a ways to go. Then something amazing happened, people stopped what they were doing and paid attention, and cheered me on, and sang with me- I am not ashamed to admit that I did a good job, and it was really fun. Afterward my teammates all congratulated me and told me I had a good voice and such. Then something weird happened.

Random girls started coming up to me to tell me I had a good voice. Keep in mind that I had come from football practice- I looked grubby, bag shirt and sweat pants with hair pulled back in a frizzy half pony. But somehow, despite my appearance i was being hit on more than I am accustomed to, and one of these girls was relentlessly throwing looks my way.

So if you ever find yourself at a kareoke bar trying to impress the ladies- Billy Joel is where it's at.

And if you find yourself in JP (Jamaica Plaine Massachusetts) on a Thursday night go over to the
Midway....it's a wicked good time!

No comments: